Case Study: Marketing Site
About the Project
My Role: UX and Visual Design
The goal of this redesign was to better explain what it was that StackMob actually does. Ideally, this would increase conversion (number of signups or sales calls requested) and engagement (number of apps in production), and reduce e-mails with basic questions about our offering.
StackMob was an SF based startup building mobile backend technology for enterprise and indie developers. We were acquired by PayPal in December 2013.
- Our service was very feature rich, so it was sometimes difficult to showcase all of the features while maintaining a clear message.
- We needed to serve several different audiences that visited our website.
- Our brand had been pulled in many directions and was a little out-dated. We wanted to clarify and strengthen the StackMob brand while also moving it forward.
“With Missy, design became central to all of the products and services at StackMob. She brought a delightful balance of creativity and simplicity for a highly complex service. Her design managed to exceed the expectations of the engineering, marketing, sales and product teams. It is a delightful experience to work with someone like Missy.”
— Kumi Walker
VP of Business Development, StackMob
To help us think more clearly about this problem, I created detailed personas of the 5 types of visitors so that when we were thinking about a path through the site, we could keep straight in our minds who this path was serving.
We gathered and listed content for each personal. I put together a sitemap based on this content.
I began sketching and wireframing. With the rest of the team, we continued to iterate and tweak, until we were happy with the organization, structure, and layout. At this point, I made visual design concepts and applied the style we liked best to the wireframes. I then delivered the final assets and worked through any problems that arose with the developers.
At this point, I made visual design concepts and applied the style we liked best to the wireframes. I then delivered the final assets and worked through any problems that arose with the developers.
Outcome and Learnings
- Through this processed we were able to better prioritize our audience, whereas before, we were trying to be everything to everybody. In the new structure and design, we better catered information in the priority of the persona who would most likely need it.
- This project was one of the first in which we heavily used A/B testing. I was surprised about some of our results. Including the fact that the green CTA button did better than orange (even though it totally blends into the background, in my opinion.)
- We learned how much time it takes to re-do a Marketing site! This project came down to the wire (the deadline being me leaving for a two week trip to Europe!) Unfortunately, because of the acquisition, we never fully implemented everything we wanted for this re-design.